Some definitions of discrimination
Source: Webster’s New World dictionary
- To make distinction in treatment.
- Show partiality in favor of.
- Show partiality in prejudice against.
- Action or policies directed against the welfare of minority groups.
- The unjust or prejudicial treatment especially on the grounds of race, age or sex.
- Making a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing based on the group, class or category to which that person or thing belongs, rather than on individual merit.
Why a person might discriminate against others.
- Makes me feel superior to at least someone.
- I’m accepted by other discriminators whose acceptance is important to me.
- I can “get away” with it with little chance of being reprimanded.
- Everybody I know does it.
- If I don’t do it in front of my peers, I feel disgraced.
- It’s fun to do.
- I don’t think it really bothers them.
- I was brought up to do it. It comes natural to me.
- There’s no penalty for doing it.
- It’s a good way for me to get rid of some of my aggression.
- Aw hell, nobody likes everybody.
- What difference does it make?
- I think they know they’re bad and different and that they just have to accept the way we treat them.
- I want to feel I’m better than them.
- If I push them down, I go up.
- They deserve it.
Some targets of discrimination
- A different nationality
- Blind people
- People who “look funny”
- People who “speak funny”
- People whose religion is different from yours
- People with disabilities
Q & A’s from HUMANISM- THE 10 MOST ASKED QUESTIONS
Do humanists have a sacred book, like the Christian Bible or the Muslim Quran?
No. Humanism is not a religion. It is a philosophy, a way of thinking. There are many books about and authored by humanists, but none are sacred.
Do humanists believe that God punishes certain groups or individuals?
No. Nor do they believe that he helps or favors certain groups or individuals.
Do humanists believe that God favors one nation over another during time of war? No. However, down through history, all nations at war have believed that God was on their side.
Did you know?
The sun is 400 times larger than the moon. It also happens to be 400 times further away. To us on the ground this is why they are almost identical in size.
Quotes from Humanists…
“Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it. ” George Carlin
“I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.” Kurt Vonnegut
“God did not create man in his own image. Evidently, it was way quite the other way about, which is the painless explanation for the profusion of gods and religions, and the fratricide both between and among faiths, that we see all about us and that has so retarded the development of civilization.”